Thursday, October 7, 2010

assignment #2

Empathy is..
  • freedom to be whoever you want to be
  • accepting others for who they are
  • respecting someone elses perspective
  • being non judgemental to others
My definition for empathy would be that you understand what someone else is going through,by putting yourself in someone else's shoes to figure out how they feel. Empathy reminds me of the word sympathy but the definition for sympathy is slightly different. it means sharing the same feelings with someone else. For example, If your best friend got hurt you would feel their pain and comfort them.Recently our class presented a play for empathy and basically all the skits were tied together by showing everyone you know how they feel and understand what they're going through. I think that empathy is an important quality in a person, because without it, we would be self centered and you may end up with no friends; and then you'll end up in an apartment living alone with ten cats! But, if you empathize for people then you will go pretty far in life. I always think of the other person I'm talking to before I say anything, because probably at some point in your life, you will be put down by some one. But you'll look back on it an realize, "I didn't like how that felt so I'm not going to do it to someone else." And if you have, then you just experienced empathy!

No comments: