Monday, October 18, 2010

assignment #5

Island Man (for a Caribbean island man in London who still wakes up to the sound of the sea)
by Grace Nichols
.
Morning
and island man wakes up
to the sound of blue surf
in his head
the steady breaking and wombing
wild seabirds
and fishermen pushing out to sea
the sun surfacing defiantly
from the east
of his small emerald island

.
He always comes back
groggily groggily
comes back to sands
of a grey metallic soar
to a surge of wheels
to dull North Circular roar
muffling muffling
his crumpled pillow waves
island man heaves himself
another London day

I think that I would like to wake up on a beach in Hawaii, because when I was growing up, my parents always told me about how they lived on an island and them and their brothers and sisters used to camp out on the beach. They said it was kind of scary in the silence of the night, with the loud crashes of a wave on the beach and I thought that would be so cool after a scary movie to go sleep out there, but they said that it was so nice to watch the sunrise with the beach slowly coming to life.

3 comments:

Shauna Pollock said...

Amy,

I like the pictures you chose. When you wrote, "watch the sunrise with the beach slowly coming to life", I felt like I had a mini holiday in my brain. Beautiful words!

Where did your parents grow up?

Miss P

jumanh said...

Amy come check out the "whip my hair song".

Shauna Pollock said...

Hi Amy,

Are you purple today?